• 1 Post
  • 252 Comments
Joined 9 months ago
cake
Cake day: October 4th, 2023

help-circle

• It looks like it got punished by lack of water. Keep it well watered and see what comes back. You really can’t leave a potted tree unwatered for more than a few days. In hot weather you pretty well need to water them daily.

I’m not sure about the white fungus. There’s a chance that your trees root system or vascular system has been destroyed by a fungus, but they don’t usually present like this. Given what you said about not watering it I think that’s the most likely problem.

• Always prune off dead, damaged, and diseased wood. Start there. Then prune stray and inward-facing branches. By stray I mean any stupid growth, like a little twig growing out of the trunk 8" from the ground. As for the inward-facing stuff, you don’t want a thicket of interlacing branches in the middle of the tree. Prune most of it out. Also prune out anything that’s growing very vertically through other branches.

That’s bare maintenance. After that you’re pruning for form for the kind of tree it is and the kind of tree you want.

From the photo it looks like you mostly need to clear out some of the inward-facing branches. (EDIT: nevermind, it’s too hard to tell from your picture.)

The maintenance prune would probably be fine, but I wouldn’t do a hard prune at this time of year. Traditionally, you do your hard pruning during the dormant season, but there’s starting to be more advice that a mid-Summer prune is also good.

I think the reason Google isn’t helping is because the pruning advice very much depends on the age of the apple, what your goal is, and what kind of apple it is.

• IRC the genetics don’t support that. It looks more like Polynesians originate from the area around Taiwan, sharing DNA with the indigenous Taiwanese. Again IRC there are some South American genes present in the Easter Island or Tahiti area, which seem to have been introduced pre-European contact. It’s tricky to tell though because there has been so much sharing of genetics since then. It looks like maybe some Polynesians went to South America one or a few times and returned.