• 1 Post
  • 406 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 30th, 2023

help-circle

• I think even the most clueless non American can figure out that someone deciding that they don’t want to do a public office before the election of that public office is hardly undemocratic and while I am not clueless, I am a non American and live with non Americans. I think I can guessimate that.

• I worked in a office supplier at one point. People would enter the office, put some documents on the first desk they see and look at the guy sitting there. No hello… No sentence… Nothing… That is usually the point when we knew what was up. The guy would look at the documents and say "you aren’t at the right place. Wrong floor. Wrong door. " They would look at us in shock. Sometimes complain that you couldn’t tell where you are. It was always the same. They wanted to get something from the government. They had an office in the same building. There were multiple big sign. There was literally 2 signs outside telling you which floor. Obviously our office had a sign too. They passed at least 3 signs in an office building while they were looking where to go… People don’t read signs… They just don’t.

• Tartas1995toProgrammer Humor@lemmy.mlcrowdStrikeIsAVerbNow
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

Basically, crowdstrike wrote bad code that run as a driver, windows doesn’t like bad code in their drivers. Kernel level code is generally expected to run properly. crowdstrike’s kernel level code was really bad. Embarrassingly bad.

If the host creates a playlist and everyone can add their favorite song to the playlist, the host won’t be blamed if you add “erika”. People rightfully think you are an ignorant weirdo or a bad person, not the host.

• To be fair there is more than 1 definition.

I think it is fairly obvious that the “inventor” of the paradox of tolerance didn’t use the term with the meaning that it is self-contradicting and therefore wrong but rather the alternative definition of “a statement that is seemingly contradictory or opposed to common sense and yet is perhaps true”. And the peace treaty/social contract solution is assuming that you can’t be tolerant to the intolerant, so they agree on “yet is perhaps true” part. And the first section is obviously true.

• Tartas1995toPolitical Memes@lemmy.worldThe Paradox of Tolerance
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    8 days ago

I don’t know what your issue with the paradox of tolerance is. Even in your “solution” it is ultimately true that there is the paradox of tolerance.

The paradox is that a maximally tolerant society has to be intolerant to the intolerant.

Breaking the social contract would make you intolerant and the tolerant people who follow the social contract would have to be intolerant towards you to protect the social contract as just removing the necessity of tolerance towards the intolerant wouldn’t create a deterrent as the tolerant people mostly would treat the intolerant decently as they aren’t bad people and wouldn’t inflict unnecessary harm. So you need to communicate to the tolerant people that they have to be intolerant towards the intolerant to protect the social contract, so the tolerant would inflict the necessary harm to the intolerant to create a deterrent.

So to maximize the effects of the social contract, the social contract would require intolerance from the tolerant.

• Tartas1995toLemmy Shitpost@lemmy.worldHow dare he
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    8 days ago

Don’t know what idea I like more,

1. He is doing the weirdest troll
    2. He is mistaken
    3. We are mistaken to think that he means Epstein and he is totally right and on the money. (Geoff made have a vacation love Affair with his wife or something)

I can’t choose

• Please don’t tell “manual laborers” that they can’t lose their job. That might not be accurate long term (think, auto industry or 3d printed houses) but also it turns the working class against each other. “It isn’t my issue, I am a manual laborers” wouldn’t a position that other laborer would like and it is wrong because who is going to support all those jobless people… What will they be doing? Maybe working in manual labor???