c/Superbowl

For all your owl related needs!

• 744 Posts
  • 4.16K Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: July 2nd, 2023

help-circle

• Edit: Disregard. Read “crumbed” as “crumbled” and thought OP was referring to ground meat/mince. I still think my reply has some interesting info, so I’ll leave it.

I couldn’t find any pics of what you’re talking about, so if you have one, I’d be curious to see it.

From my searching though, I saw that grass fed beef, which would be the “good stuff” has yellow fat instead of white, so when that is minced it will likely coat the meat with that, giving it a slight tint.

Just a guess, but that’s all I could find.

• I don’t know if I’ve ever had GF bread, so I had to look up how it’s made. I wondered how the bread would have the proper structure to rise without a gluten matrix, and it seems I was on to something. Reading up on it a bit, gums and starches are used to replace the function of the missing gluten. So while GF bread has no gluten, it’s still made with a gluten replacement, and the same function is required for proper results.

If we change my qualifier to bread typically having a deliberately developed structural matrix with high elasticity, it covers wheat and GF breads. It still is fairly universal we want chewy breads and non-chewy cakes.

• Good!

It’s a bit paradoxical trying to show off all these owls. On one hand, we want to see all of their awesome physical features and their beautiful patterns. When they stand out in the pictures, they are simply amazing looking animals.

At the same time, part of what makes them so cool to many of us is we know they are the ninja of the bird world. They come silently out of nowhere, take out their target, and disappear back into nothingness. It can be a bit of a challenge though finding a photo of something that has it as both the focal point, yet also shows off just how hard it would be for you to detect it in the wild.

This photo does a great job showing off both the stealth and beauty of the owl. You know there will be an owl in the photo, and once you do see it, it’s very clear and you can see it in all its details, but you still have a good appreciation of how it looks perfectly designed to be nearly indetectable to any tasty creatures scurrying around along the forest floor.

It shows of both halves of what we find captivating about owls perfectly.

• The Audobon Society recently started working on doing the same thing for birds. As with that, this is likely only changing the common names, not scientific names, as that is a much bigger deal since those are used worldwide by the science community.

To argue that changing the names is some big ordeal, these things already have a different name in every language anyway. Scientific names also get changed when necessary, especially now that DNA testing is prevalent. We learn things aren’t related to what we thought, and it changes what we know about evolution diversity, and taxonomy, which is a much bigger deal. Do you want updated scientific facts and names or is what you used to know from year ago good enough? Changing the informal name is no bigger of a deal than if a product changes brand names.

Some of the people these plants and animals named after are horrible people that exploited native people and their homelands with no regard to anything beyond their own personal fame. Graverobbers like Verreaux and racists like Blakiston didn’t discover anything, they cataloged it with a colonial power. Language evolves as we advance, and this is a natural part of our development as a society.

To see the reactions in the comments here is really disappointing for a science oriented community.

• As a general rule, I would see in a majority of cases that in a bread, gluten development is encouraged to provide a chewy texture. In a cake, you want to avoid gluten development to have a light and fluffy texture.

Special bread flours have high gluten content and cake flours have lower gluten for that reason.

Now we of course do have many exceptions, such as banana bread is low gluten and very sweet, while many biscuit recipes call for cake flour, but no one would call a biscuit a cake. In both those cases, I don’t think you would like a banana bread or biscuit that has the strong gluten structure that a proper baguette has.

Cakes (especially something like donuts) can be yeast risen, and some breads like matzo or tortillas have no leavening, or breads can use chemical leavening like Irish soda bread.

• I don’t know if we’ve covered why it’s called a Saw Whet or not. It’s said to be that its call sounds similar to the sound of the lumberjacks sharpening their saw blades in the forests where these owls come from.

Whet means to sharpen. So this is the owl that sounds like it’s sharpening a saw.

This is the most appropriate saw sharpening sound I could find. Way back when, I’m sure they were using much larger saws, so the pitch would be different, but this seems close enough.

YouTube: Saw Whet Owl Call

YouTube: Saw Sharpening

• I’ve been very excited to share this one. It just looks like it’s having such a good time.

I know many of you justifiably hate Facebook, but the link has all 15 photos of the set. I try to pick out the best ones when it’s a big collection, but I don’t want to lift all of somebody’s work, plus it gets to be a chore for me as well.

You guys may have noticed I’ve started showing the links a bit differently, identifying the name of the source. Some of you have expressed annoyance in the past over accidentally going to Facebook links, so I’ve been trying it this way.