Just a regular Joe.

• 0 Posts
  • 234 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: July 7th, 2023

help-circle
  • JoetoTechnology@lemmy.worldSome bad code just broke a billion Windows machines
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 days ago

It is pretty easy to imagine separate streams of updates that affect each other negatively.

CrowdStrike does its own 0-day updates, Microsoft does its own 0-day updates. There is probably limited if any testing at that critical intersection.

If Microsoft 100% controlled the release stream, otoh, there’d be a much better chance to have caught it. The responsibility would probably lie with MS in such a case.

(edit: not saying that this is what happened, hence the conditionals)

• JoetoMemes@lemmy.mlCapitalism and fascism
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 days ago

The world economy is huge, and the US economy is damn strong. It’s got a huge share of a growing world economy, and it absolutely owns the world as far as military power and power projection goes. The US would absolutely use its huge military and economic advantages to keep its position as top dog if necessary. It is fine that the world’s economy is growing (inevitable after the devastation of ww2, which barely touched the US), but it doesn’t mean the US is any weaker for it. And anyone who thinks the US won’t keep its rivals in check, no doubt leaving a trail of bloody corpses behind, has not been paying attention.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    8 days ago

There’s a lot of people pinning their hopes on the global south and the decline of the dollar. I just don’t see it, and it seems like wishful thinking. If there were a real risk to US supremecy, we’d see serious chaos unfold, setting them (edit: not the US) back significantly. The gloves are still on just now.

The US chooses when and how to intervene. With Israel vs Iran, it was clear. With NATO, it is clear. With Ukraine, it is still wishy washy - Ukraine can’t lose, but it doesn’t need to win for the US’ strategic goal of a weakened russia to be met. One can easily argue that it helps. Russia and its allies will continue to shit stir in “minor” ways elsewhere as a result, distracting but not really hurting the US.

link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 days ago

I don’t see a decline in US capitalism or (US-style) imperialism anytime soon. It seems extremely well positioned to continue to be the #1 world power and influencer, even if its regional political and economic influence wanes a bit. US foreign policy is that of a bully in the sandpit who breaks any toy denied to him. Domestically, from the outside it looks like an absolute shitshow, with the masses cheering with hysteric enthusiasm as they are thrown one by one to the lions.

• JoetoTechnology@lemmy.worldWhat tv to look for nowadays?
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    13 days ago

I’m happy with my Samsung S90C (oled). I didn’t find any non-smart-tv options that I liked after my 18 year old Samsung TV died, and after using a PC monitor and PC speakers for a few weeks while researching options, I settled on this one, which was on my shortlist and on sale at a nearby bricks’n’mortar store.

Even in a well lit room, I’m very happy with it. I also use the apps to stream content, so one less box is needed. Let’s hope it lasts 18+ years too.

• Not to mention the younger generation with no work ethic, unlike in my day… 5am start 6 days a week… builds character… then school… uphill… both ways… respected our elders… bought first house with 22… kids now… no respect… video games… no work ethic… living with parents at 30… avocado on toast… no house… AVOCADO ON TOAST.