• 1 Post
  • 372 Comments
Joined 9 months ago
cake
Cake day: September 27th, 2023

help-circle

• I once heard a european say we eat like we have free healthcare. No we don’t. We eat like we have a government with more accountability to monied interests than to our health, a food industry that profits from us being compelled to overeat cheaply produced foods, and a healthcare system that profits from chronic illness and sudden misfortune. Oh yeah, this onion’s got layers, and it’s rotting from the inside-out.

In fact, I think a genuine effort behind universal healthcare would involve the government suddenly caring a lot more about industry in general growing profits by running things as cheap and dirty as they have been and, in a way, passing their costs onto the general population.

• meowMix2525@lemm.eetoMicroblog Memes@lemmy.worldWhat America really needs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    11 days ago

Jesus Christ dude.

First of all, I’m american, I’m a woman, and just look at our highway system. Black neighborhoods were bulldozed and paved over with highway interchanges. Cities were destroyed and continue to suffer from their existence. St. Louis, Detroit, Memphis, Cleveland, Chicago, etc., etc., didn’t happen because suburbs ‘won’ in the free market of infrastructure or something.

Remember 8 mile, that road you don’t go past in Detroit? Hmm yeah I wonder how that happened if bridges/crosswalks are such a good replacement for infrastructure that doesn’t require those things in the first place. Infrastructure can facilitate national movement but it can also stand locally as an impenetrable wall. Put as many expensive “gateways” up as you want, it’s still a fucking wall. There’s a reason rivers are used as division lines between cities, states, and countries.

Do you really think there’s going to be a perfect route through ALL of that land and that avoiding population centers wouldn’t negate its usefulness?

Edit: also “underutilized” is an insane term to use for land. Just because humans aren’t utilizing it, doesn’t mean that land is devoid of use by other life. There is an entire ecosystem across this country that shouldn’t be disturbed if we can help it, much less a river be built through it. I mean come on, we have a mass extinction event going on right now, all the way down to the fucking insects that splatter on our windshields.

• meowMix2525@lemm.eetoMicroblog Memes@lemmy.worldWhat America really needs
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 days ago

Luckily this entire swath of land is completely void of human and animal life and nobody will be emminent-domained out of their homes and livelihoods with little to no reward for doing so, and bridges are notoriously so much more permeable than plain flat land. I’m such a silly goose to not have thought of those things when I wrote that very serious comment about this very serious hypothetical 🥸

• meowMix2525@lemm.eetoMemes@lemmy.mlElections
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    11 days ago

That’s definitely what I’ve observed. The constant whining gets pretty grating, wish they would finally just form their own instances and defederate from whoever the hell they want. Instead they sit around in the largest most entry-level instance and badmouth and whine at the mods to cut off any instance where the majority view is to the left of and critical of the status quo.

• meowMix2525@lemm.eetoMemes@lemmy.mlElections
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    12 days ago

That’s not how I read it… it’s not really democracy if the guy being voted for is lying to the voters without repercussion (thus obstructing the voters’ right to make an informed decision) so they can get into office and do things they know the voters wouldn’t have voted for. That’s anti-democratic in itself. This meme isn’t saying democracy bad, it’s saying that what we have now isn’t a democracy.