• 2 Posts
  • 17 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 19th, 2023

help-circle

• “The Things They Carried” by TIm O’Brien. Usually I prefer less of fiction, but it’s less of a narrative story of ‘what happens next’ or ‘what is happening’ but more of what is happening inside the minds and hearts of the characters, which is something I really like. Favourite story so far is “Speaking of Courage” which tells all the internal conflicts and struggles of someone coming back from war - real powerful and emotional read.

• Finished Quiet by Susan Cain, finally - shared this as my read here some time ago. As a textbook introvert it wasn’t exactly an easy read, emotionally, for me - so often had to put the book down to deal with all the emotions, to process the catharsis or to grieve for what past-me had to go through. But ultimately it was quite a positive read, though I wouldn’t say that I agree with everything in the book - especially speaking from a professional perspective, personally I did find a lot of affirmation and validation from the book. I mean, just this morning I declined an invitation to a dinner party with just a slight hint of guilt, haha!

Reading something of an entirely different feel currently - had to go for something ‘light’ after the previous read. The Man Who was Saturday, a biography of Airey Neave.

• For my former classmate’s case it’s less about academic results - we’re from a quite a reputable high school after all - but more on that they were not the best behaving student in class. Though nothing bad and more of middle-schooler antics, but I remember them as quite a mischievous person, loud, and always ready for a prank. But I guess that was a way of them showcasing their leadership quality even back then.

But still it’s indeed a good encouragement for young people to not base their self-value on results, also to be less anxious about their future directions, but that they’ll also find their strengths and passion one day.

• Yeah unfortunately the slots are extremely limited this time, apparently the only allow 200 visitors per hour slot so I have many friends who also failed to get a pass. Didn’t get to visit them myself. I have some friends who signed up as volunteers though so did hear them sharing about the experience.

Imo they did suffer a bit from some bad planning and communication. They were planning to visit Penang much earlier but was delayed, while the delay was not their fault the subsequent communications were not really done well, many people were unaware of their latest schedule and by the time we got to know about their visit most of the slots were already been taken up by those who got the news earlier. Quite unfair like this la haha.

Sorry that you didn’t get to visit them this time. Maybe next time (hopefully with better management haha!)