• 1 Post
  • 20 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: June 20th, 2023

help-circle

• I mostly have the same experience. I did a Xamarin.Mac app to port some windows code to the Mac. In some senses, it was amazing, because most of the business logic just worked and that saved a bunch of time. The UI was app kit, but with c# to obj-c bindings. That also mostly worked, however, when something broke, it really broke and was incredibly difficult to debug.

There are some use cases I’d recommend Xamarin for still, but the majority of cases are probably best solved by writing native code directly. (Or at least using a portable language such as C, C++ or Rust for cross platform business logic)

• Agreed. It’s an awesome feature, but Apple isn’t likely to do the work to replace crappy enterprise software. Those software companies spend lots of time developing central management consoles (is everyone up to date?), they provide “reports” to show that the company is compliant to a ton of requirements (ie. SOX compliance), and other features that describe exactly what their software protects against. While none of those tools provide benefits to the end user, companies dig that crap.

• smitty825@lemmy.worldtoTesla@lemmy.world2020 M3 or 2018 MS
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Tough choice. I’d personally pick the 2020 model 3. It should have the second generation Intel CPU for the infotainment system, plus it should have HW3 for better autopilot behavior.

Plus, the 2018 Model S is now two generations old on the powertrain, so it’s likely that the mechanics only get minimal training on those older systems. And the battery uses older chemistry compared to the model 3.

That being said, you’d get a ton more space with the model s, and it’s likely going to be a good car.