• woof7939@iusearchlinux.fyiOPtoSelfhosted@lemmy.worldTLD and the law
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 months ago

I used to connect through wireguard but I want to be able to use it from devices that aren’t necessarily my own, both for sharing with friends and for personal access from friends and family devices (e.g. my parents’ android tv).

Edit: Also I just tried to go on noip.com from my workplace and it seems they blocked it as well… so that’s no good.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Lol that’s not it, currently I’m just hosting a Jellyfin instance since streaming services seem to have been going steadily downhill for years now. But that also counts as illegal activity afaik. I wasn’t worried up until now since in my country piracy laws aren’t really enforced at all (as a kid I didn’t even know downloading content was considered illegal), but I thought maybe using a .uk TLD may mean I have to answer to them.

link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    11 months ago

Thanks for the quick reply! Assuming I host a Jellyfin instance for instance (pun intended), can they actually accuse me of breaking rules without a valid login? afaik for non-users the login page is as far as they (should be able to) go. As for the domain name, I’m not actually set on one specific name, but it seemed from the few I tried that .uk and .us are consistently much cheaper (~$5/yr as opposed to ~$10/yr).