• @NeatNit
    link
    English
    1313 days ago

Don’t put any recovery info on Proton

About that. I’m still making the transition from gmail and currently most of my mail still goes to gmail first and gets forwarded to Proton through their easy switch process. Surely this is just as up for grabs as a recovery email, right?

FWIW I’m not likely to be investigated any time soon so I’m not worried either way.

• @Spedwell@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      2013 days ago

That’s significantly worse privacy-wise, since Google gets a copy of everything.

A recovery email in this case was used to uncover the identity of the account-holder. Unless you’re using proton mail anonymously (if you’re replacing your personal gmail, then probably not) then you don’t need to consider the recover email as a weakness.

• @NeatNit
        link
        English
        813 days ago

That’s significantly worse privacy-wise, since Google gets a copy of everything.

Obviously, but I still haven’t gone through all the things I’ve ever signed up to and changed my email to the proton one. When I sign up to new stuff I use Proton, this is a necessary step for transition… And one that is likely to stay in place for a very long time since I’m going to keep procrastinating it.

Unless you’re using proton mail anonymously then you don’t need to consider the recover email as a weakness.

Excellent point.