• @jolOP
    link
    1126 days ago

I’m shocked that this meme got 53% approval. Is it that bad or is this just the front page effect?

• Responsabilidade
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1026 days ago

I think that’s because your post showed in “All” tab (I found it there) and people are intolerant with the veganism cause

I myself am not a vegan, but I’m vegetarian and always got bullied by people trying to impose their diet to me or questioning why am I imposing mine to them, despite I never talk to them about my diet if I’m not questioned before.

• @streetfestival@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      English
      1026 days ago

It’s a great meme. I’d say yes you are getting downvotes due to the front page effect (i.e., non-members of this community coming across it on “all” and perpetuating their denial with a downvote). I think the approval rating and # of upvotes will increase as more members of the community check Lemmy and upvote.

I do think perhaps that calling attention to the inhumane practices in cow-derived milk might rattle non-vegans more than something about meat, in that perhaps there’s a recognition of a moral cost to meat but many are naively under the belief that drinking cow-derived milk isn’t wildly inhumane. I suppose there’s a “gotcha!” aspect to the meme that is also likely to rattle non-vegans.

I see this as a for us, by us community, and I wouldn’t be worried about downvotes by non-members; but I answered because I appreciate wanting to know why posts are voted on they way they are. I’m reluctant to mention this because I don’t want to perpetuate the belief that Lemmy is North America- or US-centric, but you posted at what is 6am in North America’s eastern time zone. I think there are more people viewing Lemmy by Subscribed or Local during business/daytime hours and more viewing by All in the middle of the night, etc. I moderate a pretty unpopular Canadian Football community, and I’ve found that downvotes will predominate if I post outside of business hours/during the night; that - combined with my own Lemmy habits - is what most of my reasoning above is based on. I predict this post will have net 15 upvotes a day from now :)

• @jolOP
        link
        426 days ago

Thank you for the thorough data dump :P I’ll try to optimize my posting times in the future haha

• @streetfestival@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          English
          325 days ago

You’re welcome :P Another good strategy is just don’t fret about approval ratings before half a day has gone by. And thanks for contributing to the Lemmy vegan community <3

• @Martineski@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      326 days ago

Personally I was confused for a good moment before I read the title. I don’t really read titles when it comes to memes so I will guess same goes for other people too? Either that or lemmy has a problem with anti vegans.