• Responsabilidade
    link
    fedilink
    English
    1613 days ago

Downvotes are from people who is in denial about where does milk comes from.

• @jolOP
      link
      1113 days ago

I’m shocked that this meme got 53% approval. Is it that bad or is this just the front page effect?

• @streetfestival@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1013 days ago

It’s a great meme. I’d say yes you are getting downvotes due to the front page effect (i.e., non-members of this community coming across it on “all” and perpetuating their denial with a downvote). I think the approval rating and # of upvotes will increase as more members of the community check Lemmy and upvote.

I do think perhaps that calling attention to the inhumane practices in cow-derived milk might rattle non-vegans more than something about meat, in that perhaps there’s a recognition of a moral cost to meat but many are naively under the belief that drinking cow-derived milk isn’t wildly inhumane. I suppose there’s a “gotcha!” aspect to the meme that is also likely to rattle non-vegans.

I see this as a for us, by us community, and I wouldn’t be worried about downvotes by non-members; but I answered because I appreciate wanting to know why posts are voted on they way they are. I’m reluctant to mention this because I don’t want to perpetuate the belief that Lemmy is North America- or US-centric, but you posted at what is 6am in North America’s eastern time zone. I think there are more people viewing Lemmy by Subscribed or Local during business/daytime hours and more viewing by All in the middle of the night, etc. I moderate a pretty unpopular Canadian Football community, and I’ve found that downvotes will predominate if I post outside of business hours/during the night; that - combined with my own Lemmy habits - is what most of my reasoning above is based on. I predict this post will have net 15 upvotes a day from now :)

• @jolOP
          link
          412 days ago

Thank you for the thorough data dump :P I’ll try to optimize my posting times in the future haha

• @streetfestival@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            312 days ago

You’re welcome :P Another good strategy is just don’t fret about approval ratings before half a day has gone by. And thanks for contributing to the Lemmy vegan community <3

• Responsabilidade
        link
        fedilink
        English
        1013 days ago

I think that’s because your post showed in “All” tab (I found it there) and people are intolerant with the veganism cause

I myself am not a vegan, but I’m vegetarian and always got bullied by people trying to impose their diet to me or questioning why am I imposing mine to them, despite I never talk to them about my diet if I’m not questioned before.

• @Martineski@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        312 days ago

Personally I was confused for a good moment before I read the title. I don’t really read titles when it comes to memes so I will guess same goes for other people too? Either that or lemmy has a problem with anti vegans.

• @Soulg@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    912 days ago

I’m confused about seeing all these memes about this suddenly. Did people really only recently learn how they inseminated cows?

• @jolOP
      link
      310 days ago

Lots of people think cows just always give milk, and that dairy products can be obtained without killing any animals.

• @glimse@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    513 days ago

What is everyone’s opinion on “family cows”? Like a family who has a cow on their small farm that they take care of and use for milk. I’m not vegan (working on vegetarian first, pls no bulli) but I’m not looking to argue, just curious.

• teft
      link
      fedilink
      edit-2
      13 days ago

In order to milk a cow you need to get the cow pregnant once every year. Doesn’t matter if it’s a factory farm or mom and pop, you still have to get the cow pregnant to get her to produce milk and that isn’t the cows choice. Personally i drink milk but i can see their point in regards to the cow having no choice in the matter.

• @jolOP
        link
        1113 days ago

And to add to that, getting her pregnant naturally means she with give birth to a veal. This veal will be sold off shortly after birth and either killed or raised and then killed. There’s no milk without continuous death of cows.

• @glimse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        713 days ago

I actually did not know that so thanks for the information. My knowledge ended at that (apparently false?) quote from Meet The Parents about anything being milkable. And thanks for not attacking me - I think I’m immoral, too, but I’m fighting 30+ years of a carnivorous diet.

I cut milk out of my diet years ago. I failed my first attempt at veganism so I’m taking it one step at a time now and it’s been working for me…slowly, but progress is progress. If that lab-made cheese I read about lives up to the hype, I think 5 years is realistic for me.

It’s hard. I have a lot of respect for people who went cold turkey (no pun intended) on meat/dairy.

• Ephera
          link
          fedilink
          212 days ago

If it’s any consolation, I don’t feel like many people go cold turkey. It was tons of baby steps for me, too. It requires going out of one’s comfort zone to try out some vegan food. And if your comfort zone is big enough in that direction, then it doesn’t hurt anymore to leave a slice of meat/dairy comfort zone behind.

• @glimse@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            111 days ago

It’s tough. I will probably not be able to even be fully commit until my parents pass because there is no way I’m going to ask my mom to not cook the meals she’s made every Christmas since I was a kid.

But I think I’m ok with that…I’m not trying to win a contest or anything. I’ve already stopped cooking meat at home and next step is to stop ordering it when I go out.

• @glimse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        212 days ago

If I have the option it’s always oat or almond so I’d agree. Cheese and bacon are by far the hardest for me to give up.

• Ephera
          link
          fedilink
          212 days ago

There’s some good vegan cheeses now, too. Not yet centuries-of-tradition levels of variety+refinement, but it can compete with your average sliced cheese. You might need to try a few brands, though…

• @glimse@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            211 days ago

I’ve been watching that development closely. I imagine it will eventually be the cheaper option, too.

• @5714@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          edit-2
          12 days ago

Yeah, that’s what this is about. People generally don’t feel comfortable drinking other people’s milk (non-sexually), so why should people drink cows’ milk, when there are alternatives to soften your muesli?

• @glimse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        213 days ago

If it provided food for my family, yeah? I’m a gardener not a farmer, I was just asking so I could learn more

• Ephera
      link
      fedilink
      312 days ago

Personally, I would actually be open to that. On a moral level, I’m thinking, if the cow has gotten naturally pregnant and is provided food+shelter and hasn’t been bred to provide unhealthy levels of milk and has enough milk to feed her young, too, then I feel like a talking cow would be on board. So, if performed with an abundance of caution and respect, I consider that moral.

But if I remember correctly, I read once that this would result in ⅕ of the milk output of a dairy cow in industrial production. And you’d only get this milk while and shortly after the cow is pregnant.
      So, in essence, that would result in so little dairy, it would be pretty much a vegan diet anyways…

• MercurySunrise
      link
      fedilink
      English
      113 days ago

In regards to milk, because of the process for regular product (repetitive pregnancy) it’s been, at least here in America, cornered into the industrial market. Also, raw milk hatred (which arguably only exists due to industrialization) has further forced the industrialization of milk. This situation you refer to is extremely rare. The small farms I’ve seen in my life don’t keep dairy cows when they do keep cows. My opinion on family cows is that it’s totally fine. Then again, I believe in seizing the means of production (which is what family cows strike me as) and I’m an omnivore.

• @glimse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        213 days ago

Fair enough. I was never a big milk drinker so I knew I made some assumptions, hence the question