• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

However, we’ve also heard numerous times that people love K-9 Mail and wished the app would stay around. That’s why we’ve announced in December to do just that. We’ve started work on this and are now able to build two apps from the same source code. Thunderbird for Android already includes the fancy new Thunderbird logo and a first version of a blue theme.

Does this seem daft to anyone else?

I assume the same codebase will generate the app branded as either k9-mail or thunderbird? What is the point of that?

• maniacalmanicmania@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I think the major hurdle is that they can’t just rebrand the existing app, they have to release a new one. Keeping the K-9 app around will help the user transition long term. The folks in this thread follow Thunderbird and Thunderbird for Android development but my guess is the majority of K-9 users don’t. At some point when or if K-9 installs drop they will probably revisit the issue.

• jwt@programming.dev
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I think this is the way to go if it doesn’t frustrate further development too much. Kinda risky to pull the old app out of stores and see the blissfully unaware part of your userbase leave for a competitor.

• theshatterstone54@feddit.uk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Yeah, I’m actually in both camps as I used K9 before even starting to use Thunderbird, and I was already a user of both when they announced this whole thing which made me super excited mainly because of Thunderbird’s automatically detecting incoming and outgoing servers.