I have friends who are Afghan who have had arranged marriages so this led me to be curious to ask, why does this practice still persist into the 21st century?

• fine_sandy_bottom
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 month ago

Sheesh. There’s a lot of weird ideas in this thread.

I made a lot of mistakes in my teens and 20s, including but not limited to my poor choices in romantic partners.

If it was culturally appropriate, it would’ve been great to have some help.

• silly goose meekah@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 month ago

I mean, yeah, but what’s the point of calling something an arranged marriage when it’s actually just parents acting as an old school dating app

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              1 month ago

But then it’s still just arranged dating at best. Maybe the parents look for someone who is interested in entering a marriage in the first place, but that doesn’t make it an arranged marriage IMO.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 month ago

Yes, language is subjective, cool that you seem to be learning that today. So no argument as to why it would actually be an arranged marriage, despite the described scenario not necessarily ending in a marriage?

• fine_sandy_bottom
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    1 month ago

Sorry mate. You don’t seem very bright. If you look back through this comment thread you’re the only one talking about dating and whatever. I said it’s subjective several comments ago.

• Devi@kbin.social
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                1 month ago

It’s not dating exactly, but there are dates involved. The parents pick someone that you’re intended to marry, they bring them round and go “here, we think you should marry this person”. You get chatting with them, go out for some dates, in the modern age you’re probably texting each other etc, but it’s not like western dating where you’re just seeing how it goes, you’re deciding if you want to marry.

After a short while you would say ‘yup, this seems good’.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  arrow-down
                  ·
                  1 month ago

I mean I’m aware that this isn’t like western dating but it’s still not an arranged marriage. Saying that this is an arranged marriage is like having your parents pick out a hairdresser and calling it a haircut.

• BruceTwarzen@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

It’s nice when you get some help, but ihelp in the form of aomeone being forced to be your little house slave is weird as shit

• fine_sandy_bottom
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 month ago

aomeone being forced

That’s the thing though. An arranged marriage is not necessarily a forced marriage. If everyone is an enthusiastic participant then where’s the harm?

• AA5B@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 month ago

I didn’t grow up in one of those cultures, but agree, there could be advantages. Notably, younger people are likely to focus on physical attraction, whereas marriage is a life long partnership that requires a lot more. Family can step back a little to pay attention to other compatibilities. Family can start from a position of knowing both participants, rather than meeting someone completely unknown. I don’t know how it usually works, but it could. As long as it’s not forced, the goals are for the peoples happiness, the participants have a veto, I can definitely see advantages.

As a nerdy, introverted, shy, guy, bring it on. I have plenty to bring to a relationship, but not in finding someone to relate to