• rimjob_rainer
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

I don’t care what happens to my corpse, because I’ll be dead then. Never understood, why people still care nowadays, religion I guess.

• hrimfaxi_work@midwest.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Ritual and ceremony are deeply important aspects of the human experience. What cultures do with their dead is way, way up there with foodways and adornment when it comes to cultural significance.

The increasingly common view in the West that elaborate death rites are unimportant is really new when compared to the rest of human history. It’s probably a postmodern thing? If I’m right about that, that would mean the less reverential attitude towards traditional deatg ceremony is like 110ish years old.

Compared to the 200,000-300,000 years Homo Sapiens have been around (or 45,000 years ago if we only want to discuss the length of time that Northern European-style deathways have most likely been practiced), 100 years isn’t a lot to change that cultural inertia.

Sorry, I know this is a Wendy’s. Just a frosty, thanks.

• jwelch55@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

You can have the ceremony without being ripped off for thousands of dollars on a box nobody will ever see again

• volvoxvsmarla @lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Why the fuck have you been downvoted, that’s just a reasonable comment.

May I also point out, your funeral isn’t for you. You might not care what happens to your body but your close ones do. A funeral is a place for them to find closure, to grief and mourn your loss. The mere fact that people who cannot retrieve their lost one’s body feel awfully about it and still tend to create empty graves should show how much this is a very old desire of importance. The way we perform these death rituals can change and maybe it is not about how a body is being get rid off per se, and surely we could change this. That we as a species are aware of what death means and have found ways to cope with it (i.e. rituals as a coping way to deal with the knowledge) is incredible.

Whenever people say something along these lines of “just throw me in the trash” it feels to me like they didn’t get that point. It’s not about you. It’s about everyone else.