As I’m graduating college in a few weeks, I’ll be losing access to my university’s free printers and filament. I’m going to build up a home lab with a couple printers where I can make goofy little mechanical projects as well as some components for my cars and stuff.

Who’s your go-to for PLA and ABS/ASA filaments? Those will be my primary print jobs in any serious volume. I know our college’s club has had hella problems with random chinese brand filaments not printing consistently but I also don’t want to spend $30+ per kg for something like Prusament.

• Tolookah
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

Microcenter’s Inland pla+ has been good to me. Microcenter used to ship it free, and they may still, but it’s been a bit since I ordered. It’s $15-20/kg. Some day I’ll use great filament and might call this stuff garbage, but I’m not there yet. The standard pla is less impressive, causes me more grief than I like.

• Thrashy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Inland is (or was, at least) relabeled eSun filament, and they’re considered a decent brand for basic filaments. I’ve only ever used their PLA(+) but it’s always been bulletproof.