• Takios
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

It’s the other way around in my country. The more votes the middle and left parties lost, the further they moved to the right in an attempt to claw back votes. But then there was a huge protest campaign against the right and the right started losing votes in our regular surveys (though still much too strong).
    So I urge you to vote for your option that is not regularly talking about using fascist methods and undoing gained freedoms “on day one”.

• venusaur@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago

i see what you’re saying. if only people on the right are voting, then they’ll shift focus to the right, but that should pave the way for a candidate on the left that people actually want. the problem is there is no true democracy and no potential for third party candidates to actually win. I will not vote unless there is a candidate I actually want to lead the country, and/or they implement RCV or a similar voting system for presidential elections. i’ll still vote for house and senate.

• Takios
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

I can understand and respect your stance. Personally, I wouldn’t take the chance of having to live under a Trump presidency though.

• venusaur@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 month ago

When does it stop tho? He can keep running as long as he wants and dems can keep taking advantage of that to do whatever they want because they know they’ll get the vote because of fear politics.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

but that should pave the way for a candidate on the left that people actually want

Candidates don’t emerge for voters that don’t vote. Because in the analysis they don’t even exist, because they don’t vote. It’s a null data set. No politician is going to gamble on it possibly maybe existing but don’t vote. No donors are going to donate to causes which the voters maybe possibly exist but don’t vote. It simply doesn’t happen.

• BarqsHasBite@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 month ago

New to Lemmy? There are hordes of users (no exaggeration) that say they won’t vote because the Dems aren’t left enough and bothsidessame.

• venusaur@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 month ago

I’ll take your word for it. I’m only talking about people in my situation. We’ve voted in the past and aren’t voting now. Presidents have won by focusing on getting out the vote for populations that have had low voter turnout.