I want to try to set up a Raspberry Pi I have as a smart TV box and I was hoping I could find some advice.

My main requirements are:

• can run Moonlight
  • can be controlled from a Bluetooth game controller (that should also work in Moonlight)

What would be nice:

• can run VLC or Plex or something
  • can support AirPlay
  • can be used for some actual streaming services like Netflix

Any suggestions?

• funkycarrot
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

First had Kodi on a RPI, but I got fed up with Kodi, partly because there are too many moving parts and partly because there’s no great way to watch YouTube.

Then found Flexlauncher, which has already been suggested by someone else. Slapped Debian on the RPI and then realized that getting smooth HD YouTube video playback is impossible outside of Kodi, because of hardware (?) limitations.

At this point I decided that enough is enough and just got out the old laptop in the household no one uses anymore, same Debian + Flexlauncher combo with Stremio and Freetube. Set Debian to do auto login and start Flexlauncher automatically. Works great, but controlling with Keyboard only (and using the laptop trackpad when nothing works) gets a bit annoying. Looks like an airmouse is the way to go.

• Teppichbrand@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Sharing videos from NewPipe to Kodi worked pretty well. But I switched too, after years of tweaking & fiddeling and I now use just an old laptop with Mint and a controller. It’s not as pretty and controller-friendly, but much more stable and I don’t really need the movie collection features.