Kevin Roberts remembers when he could get a bacon cheeseburger, fries and a drink from Five Guys for $10. But that was years ago. When the Virginia high school teacher recently visited the fast-food chain, the food alone without a beverage cost double that amount.

Roberts, 38, now only gets fast food “as a rare treat,” he told CBS MoneyWatch. “Nothing has made me cook at home more than fast-food prices.”

Roberts is hardly alone. Many consumers are expressing frustration at the surge in fast-food prices, which are starting to scare off budget-conscious customers.

A January poll by consulting firm Revenue Management Solutions found that about 25% of people who make under $50,000 were cutting back on fast food, pointing to cost as a concern.

• Bluefalcon
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

I’m seeing more local places popping up. I’m happy with that. $15 for a big Mac meal or $15 for the Chicken tikka masala? I’ll take the big Mac, said no one.

• The_v@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Full dinner for my family of 4 at McD’s us $65.

Full dinner at my locally owned restaurant that offers takeout plus lunch the next day from leftovers - $70.

• Bluefalcon
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Eat local. Better food, superior quality, and it keeps money in the neighborhood.

• marx2k@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Full dinner for my family of 4 at McD’s us $65.

That is fucking bananas in pajamas bananas.

That is bottom tier food for even fast food. $65??!?

It costs $65 for two dinners from my local Indian restaurant and those dinners can serve two. Our serve two for 2 days.

wtf

• HeyJoe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 month ago

Same here, but the reason this doesn’t work is because a bic Mac meal doesn’t cost $15. It’s more like $10 or even lower with deals. If you are on a budget and have no time to cook, I can see how the cheaper option can still sway the decision. For me, it’s lower than that and will settle for Wendy’s 4 for 5. At $5 bucks, it’s absolutely worth it every now and then when I just want something cheap and quick.

• Bluefalcon
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 month ago

Dave’s combo $9.69 I assume that is a small combo. Local burger place $14.30 that’s with a fountain drink 20oz and a small fry (sweet potato or normal ones). Their small fry will feed two adults, like five guys, they add extra fries.

Local place uses local beef, veggies, and bacon. Wendy’s I get mystery meats. I’m hoping it’s fresh but we know none of it is.

If you get an equal product at Wendy’s it would be around $14.69. You will get the large shit fries and a liter of cola. I’ll take the local place. For the record I picked the cheapest meal Wendy’s had bc most families would look for a “deal”. There is the cheaper menu which has jr burgers but my local place has sliders for more $4.45 compared to the $2.49 jr burger. However I can get a good medium rare slider with normal toppings for the $4.45. I will still take that. More food for cheaper.

Large big Mac is $12.21 so I was off by $2.79