A district judge in Wisconsin has sided with an 11-year-old trans girl over her use of the girls’ toilets and temporarily blocked school officials from preventing her access.

• GildedGriffon
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Make them all unisex. If it’s a large facility with a bunch of stalls or a small facility for only one person, make them all unisex.

• Pickle_Jr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I went to a club with only one, huge, unisex bathroom once. It was… like any other bathroom. Seeing people of the opposite gender wasn’t really a concern anyways.

Since it was a rather yuge bathroom for a yuge club, if there was any shenanigans going on there would’ve been plenty of witnesses to call it out.

There was even one guy who went piss at a urinal, and started to leave without washing his hands. All the other guys started shouting at the guy to was his hands lol.

• njordomir@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

To be fair, there is safety in numbers and consequently I also see a benefit to combining them. I’m a dude, and I would rather walk down a busy pedestrian mall than a sketchy half-empty street or an urban trail on a moonless night.

Same thing with bathrooms. I imagine women feel better in a bathroom where other women and other people are present and aware, vs a nearly empty bathroom where a creep could walk in and isolate them at any moment. I’ve been to places with large unisex bathrooms (hot springs, spas, etc.) and there’s enough people in there that no one is gonna try anything stupid/inappropriate without being immediately noticed. Bathroom troublemakers are a small subset of the universally large group of people who have to use the restroom anyway.

I only support gender-segregated bathrooms because I don’t want a bunch of chicks clogging up the mensroom with their slow pissing/shitting/bloody paper towels on the floor. :D I am unreasonable and self-centered, but anyone who has ever been to a concert knows which line is longer.

• FlowVoid@midwest.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

They can put urinals in a unisex restroom.

In fact, there are all sorts of things in public restrooms that are unused. For example, the last restroom you visited had a sink where you could have washed your hands.

• GildedGriffon
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

In my hypothetical example, when you pictured stalls, you pictured them with only toilets inside. You didn’t even consider that there could be a stall with just a urinal.

You may enjoy sidling to the trough and gazing at your competition, but some of us appreciate not having creeps trying to size us up.

• afraid_of_zombies@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          1 year ago

Right so how do people plan to sell this? “Hey 49% of the population, we are going to make a basic need more difficult for you and you get nothing in return”.

• bamboo@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            1 year ago

You don’t have to. Nobody votes on this shit. You just start building buildings with a large number of private, all-gender stalls like we’ve been doing in limited quantities for a long time. And most wouldn’t care that strongly, or might even appreciate the added privacy.