Reached 30 and the wheels started falling off. Gained 20 pounds and back pain out of nowhere, it’s like a damn sitcom. I feel uncomfortable in clothes I’ve worn for a decade so its time to put in effort. Better late than never I guess.

I want advice on good beginner resources. I’m talking really beginner, like how many reps to do, how long between reps, what machines to hit, etc. I’ve been to gyms before but just kinda rode the reclined bike them made shit up when I got to the weight machines. I also am terrible at not doing too much with my back, which is almost certainly where my back pain originates from, so extra instruction on how to properly engage my core is a bonus.

The one advantage I have is that I’m very good at tracking calories. I’ve just gotten lazy since Covid. So I’ve downloaded MacroFactor to try out some new technology. I’ve used Waistline recently but it’s just too cumbersome to add food, and I lose motivation.

Appreciate the help in advance!

P.S. the one upside to turning 30 is that I can grow a beard now. So at least I’ve got that going for me

• unknowing8343
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 month ago

The most important tool you can use, and this is no joke and even more crucial for a begginer is consistency.

And what I mean by it is that you have to show up. Doing it for a week is not enough. You gotta build the discipline.

My sources are:

• Athlean-X: literally a gym coach. You’ll find many videos for begginers. He specially focuses on athleticism and not necessarily to be a giant croissant, which I really like. My goal is to look nice but also to be able to play some sports. Also lots of bodyweight resources.
    • Jeff Nippard: amazing evidence-based approach, but probably a bit too focused on becoming a giant croissant for my taste. Still watch him because you can learn A LOT from him.
    • Andrew Huberman’s podcast has some very interesting episodes on fitness, physical health, food… that might make your workouts and jogging sessions a bit more productive, with a very scientific approach.
    • NotNotMike@programming.devOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Great channels, they look like good resources. Maybe a little more intense for my liking, but I’ll definitely watch some of the videos.

Seems like most of the recommendations in the comments are all these absolute monsters whose biceps are larger than my leg. I’ll be honest, it’s a bit intimidating. I’d love a Regular JoeTM who just wants to workout a couple times a week and be a little healthier.

However, I won’t let my trepidation prevent me from watching the videos and learning what I can! Thanks for the recommendations.

• unknowing8343
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 month ago

Don’t be afraid. These 3 I showed you very much show lots of respect an encouragement for those begginers.

I’d say, specially Athlean-X has a beautiful story, as the cameraman, Jessie, was an absolute RegularJoe, and they started a series to make him workout and all… And the evolution was amazing, but most important, REAL, you could tell it was all about effort and YEARS of work. https://youtu.be/xSdWog85Esw