link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

Changing from arch to fedora was mostly based on his ties with Red Hat. I am still waiting here for ANY REASON for a private person to chose ANYTHING from red hat, without having ties with them. Their documentation is horrid and mostly hidden behind some kind of login bullshit.

Edit: Also the take on KDE “being” bloated. It misses the point. KDE has so many moving cogs that it gets quite hard to fix issues you come across. That is why its “bloated”. Nobody is complaining about working features which are useful. But if some window rules are bugging out, good luck fixing that on KDE.

• joojmachine@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 month ago
      • Reason n.1: a stabler distro that doesn’t lose when it comes to being up to date, as the equivalent to arch is rawhide
      • Reason n.2: a better, less toxic community
      • Reason n.3: Fedora is community-based, it is sponsored by RH but it does not dictate what the project does
      • Reason n.4: fedora docs is really good (and getting better), the only documentation locked behind a login is RH’s, fedora’s always been open to read and to contribute

I could keep going.

• acockworkorange@mander.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 month ago

Back in my day, you had Debian, Red Hat, and Slackware. You’d pick one of the the three and you’d like it! Kids these days are spoiled.