Use this thread for general daily football discussion.

This thread can also be used to discuss Transfer rumours and to post Tier 4 sources.

• Sentau
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    29 days ago

It is incredible fun (and heartache since I am a fan of bayern) watching the coach related drama at Bayern and Barcelona. Especially the board at Barcelona are such humongous morons - convinced Xavi to stay when he had decided to leave and now looking to fire him because he said the cold hard truth to the press/public.

• Sentau
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

Begged Xavi to stay until he decided to stay. Then in the press conference before the match against alves(?) he said that Barcelona fans have to be realistic with their expectations of them challenging for titles and trophies because the club can’t sign players due to their financial troubles while the competitors (see Real Madrid) can sign whoever they want.

Laporta and the board are furious that Xavi has said this to the press and public after seemingly tell the board in internal meetings that they should still be competative next season.

• Astrealix@lemmy.worldM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          28 days ago

I mean to be fair he’s right but he also shouldn’t be saying that lol. But sacking for that is stupid. I think it’s fair to say it’s gonna be hard but to straight up say they can’t compete is bad.

• Sentau
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            28 days ago

straight up say they can’t compete is bad.

I think i messed up a little. Here is his statement -

We will try to compete with Madrid, but I think the fans have to understand that the situation is very tough. First of all on a financial level. We can no longer say: ‘We want this player, and this player’. We do not have the same conditions as the other clubs with a good financial situation. The Barcelona fans have to understand that. That doesn’t mean we can’t challenge, but that’s Barça’s situation at the moment. We need time and stability, but we will also try to compete.

Very reasonable statement to make in my opinion