• tormeh
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    29 days ago

The reasons you’d ever want an Xbox used to be Halo and Fable. Now it’s, uh, I dunno, does anyone care about Starfield?

• Kit@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      29 days ago

Gamepass is great. It’s nice to sit down on the couch and boot up a random game via streaming. Reminds me of Blockbuster in a sense.

You can do the same thing on PC, but Xbox is idiot-proof and at the end of the day I just don’t have the energy to deal with anything more difficult than that.

• vanderbilt@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        29 days ago

I’m agree, but game pass has been offering meh value in the long run for me. Sure there are a few new titles, but once your run through your backlog it’s just ok. Problem is that Xbox lacks the blockbusters that appeal to the masses this generation, coupled with an utterly confusing naming scheme that I still don’t understand. What Xbox should I buy? No idea, because the names mean nothing.

• Kit@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          29 days ago

Casual gamers see it differently, and I imagine that’s a huge chunk of their player base. My boyfriend rarely games but gets so stoked to boot up a random no-name game and play it for a few hours at night on cloud streaming.

• agegamon@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        29 days ago

“Too broke to play PC” is a vanishing argument IMO. People have been saying that forever, to be fair, but given how bad Xbox and Playstation have gotten I don’t anyone who’s actually into gaming purchasing a new one today. Maybe used, that might make sense if it was really cheap.

A budget gaming PC can check out at slightly over 600 now. PcPartPicker has two recommended builds priced right at 600, though honestly there might be even cheaper ways to arrive at that level of perfromance. Compared to 300-400 for the less garbage Xbox, and there’s not much argument to lock someone into the xbox’s ecosystem vs something you can upgrade for much less.

Now I think it’s a different matter if it’s a hand-me-down or given for free. There’s no reason not to do that.

I gave my last console away and got a friend of mine into gaming, then helped them build a decent PC when they actually wanted something new.

• Cricoo@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      28 days ago

I absolutely love Starfield. I have something like 300 hours in it and keep finding new things to do and explore all the time.