With the lastest news of AI layoffs, I’m struggling to understand how the idea of a career still holds. If careers themselves effectively become gambles like lottery tickets, how do we maintain drive and hopes in the longterm endgame of our struggles?

I know AI as an honest utility is itself a lie to some extent, but this only aids my argument further. People’s career struggles are panning out to be valueless because of a nothing-fad that no one could have predicted.

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    24 days ago

Welcome back to blue collar, boys. Just keep it union so no one gets fucked on pay.

Despite all the AI and robotics, semi trucks will probably stay manned at least another 20 years, manual construction of houses and building will still be around for another 25 years, welders (non mass production) like building and piping will be around for quite some time, auto mechanics, and Healthcare workers, hvac techs, electricians, plumbers, construction, mailman, airline pilots (at least passenger airline), gun for hire, firefighter, police, emt/paramedic, and MORE.

There’s a lot of jobs that aren’t even close to being phased out. It’s just that most of them involve you actually not sitting on your butt all day.

• Fubber Nuckin'@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

A friend of mine has thought long and hard about how automation will affect the world long before ai became an obvious threat, and decided to become a butcher.

• exanime@lemmy.today
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

The current iteration of AI plus the debacle we have seen from other trying self driving cars tells me we would have manned trucks for 20 years regardless