• Ilandar@aussie.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      30 days ago

I agree and I still have my doubts that he would personally use many of these alternatives. Still, we should not gatekeep the message. Anyone this big discussing the positives of de-googling will certainly push it further into mainstream society.

• Diplomjodler3@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        30 days ago

That’s besides the point. LTT is a corporation at this point so they’ll use whatever corporations use. The video provided genuine value for its audience so they deserve praise for that.

• bob_lemon@feddit.de
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          30 days ago

They did a video about alternatives to Adobe a while back. And while they generally liked and praised programs such as Affinity, they did conclude that as a company, even minor losses in productivity (e.g. for their editors) quickly add up.

So yeah, it would not be the first time they present and praise alternatives even of they don’t end up using them.

• ThisIsNotHim@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            29 days ago

The decision to use Adobe suite is more likely to be a company wide decision. Part of Adobe suite lock-in is also familiarity making things faster. By promoting others, that may help future generations avoid at least part of the problem.

Google services may be much more piecemeal. Even if the boss personally happens to think there’s a productivity benefit to using a given search engine, it would be unusual to block others.

Practicing what you preach is sometimes important, but I’m not sure how much it bears on these issues. A single company eschewing either won’t make a difference. Getting the public to slowly consider alternatives may.

• TranquilTurbulence@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      29 days ago

In what way? There are tech savvy people on the team, so obviously many of them are well aware of the privacy concerns. Besides, they don’t live in a vacuum, so they see the same posts and videos we do.

Probably they just noticed that now is the right time to talk about this.

• mmhmm@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      30 days ago

I thought he stopped? Must have just been a break, but like he should have imo