link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    24 days ago

I do not know why browser makers like Opera or Brave(and now apparently Firefox) is going hey ho over AI. I don’t see a proper benefit of integration of local AI for most people as of now.

As for vertical tabs, Waterfox got it just now. It is basically a fork of Tree Style Tabs and very basically implemented. I am honestly happy with TST on Firefox and while a native integration might be a bit faster(my browser takes just that few extra seconds to load the right TST panel on my slow laptop), it’ll likely be feature incomplete when compared to TST.

• FooBarrington@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      24 days ago

It depends. I really liked Mozillas initiative for local translation - much better for data privacy than remote services. But conversational/generative AI, no thank you.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        24 days ago

AI-generated alt-text for images inserted into PDFs

Sounds more like classification so far. Things like summarising web-pages would be properly generative, LLMs in general could be useful to interrogate your browsing history. Doing feature extraction on it, sorting it into a graph of categories not by links, but concepts could be useful. And heck if a conversational interface falls out of that I’m not exactly opposed, unlike the stuff you see on the net it’s bound to quote its sources, it’s going to tell you right-away that “a cat licking you is trying to see whether you’re fit for consumption” doesn’t come from the gazillion of cat behaviour sites you’ve visited, but reddit. Firefox doesn’t have an incentive to keep you in the AI interface and out of some random webpage.

• douglasg14b@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          23 days ago

Mozilla actually had a project for that: https://memorycache.ai//

They just suck at naming things, and unfortunately it’s not getting much of the necessary dev time it needs to get out of the POC stage.

The biggest thing I want is local only models that use my activity & browsing history as a way for me to recall or contextualize events and information.