OpenAl is sticking to its story that it never intended to copy Scarlett Johansson’s voice when seeking an actor for ChatGPT’s “Sky” voice mode.

This all “feels personal," the voice actress said, "being that it’s just my natural voice and I’ve never been compared to her by the people who do know me closely.”

This comes at a time when many studios are otherwise intrigued by the idea of using AI for things like digital effects but remain, after a long history of avoiding copyright conflicts, hesitant to connect with any company potentially viewed as stealing artists’ work without consent, Reuters reported.

• ColeSloth
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    23 days ago

There’s already voice and likeness protections on the books. They got a similar sounding voice actress, but the voices are definitely distinguishable. ScarJo shouldn’t get to own any semi robotic voice that sounds fairly close to her own from a 10 year old movie. If every actor and actress gets to start making these claims against every voice actor or actress, that’s going to just screw over opportunities for the voice actors. Everybody sounds somewhat like one famous person or another.

• kandoh@reddthat.com
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      23 days ago

They approached her to do the voice because of the movie. She declined. Then they announce the new voice and make a bunch of public references to the movie.

I may not have have a great ear, but I have excellent pattern recognition.

• ColeSloth
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        23 days ago

Yeah, but you can also argue it away by him just advertising out selling something like the AI from “Her”. If you listen to any of the side by side youtube videos the voices sound pretty different. It obviously would have been great advertising to have the Sci fi tech voiced by scarjo to become the real tech, voiced by scarjo.