Italian media has said that the pope used a highly derogatory slur against LGBTQ+ people at a bishops conference. The remark may sour attempts by the pope to make the church more welcoming.

Pope Francis allegedly used a highly offensive term to refer to LGBTQ+ people during a closed-door meeting with Italian bishops, Italian media reported on Tuesday.

The major Italian daily newspapers La Repubblica and Corriere della Sera both cited anonymous sources as saying that the pope had made the remark while reiterating his position against gay people becoming priests.

The 87-year-old pontiff was reported as saying that the Catholic seminaries were already too full of “frociaggine” — a highly derogatory term in Italian.

• Bluefalcon
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    28 days ago

Few things, 1 He has done a lot for the LGBTQ community when it comes to the church ( allows the community to be blessed in church, supporting them to join the church).

2 I’m sure these was released by a “concerned” bishop instead of someone pissed at him.

3 Fuck all religion but the leaders need to follow his public example and support the LGBTQ community. Instead they stoke the flames. Be as rasicts, homophobic, or whatever as you want in your private life, I dont give 2 fucks. This coming from someone that looks white but is mix and grew up in Tennessee. Its when they try and push their shit on everyone else that i have an issue.

• Fades@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      28 days ago

wow he’s so great, he let’s LGBTQ people exist in the church’s vicinity.

• Bluefalcon
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        28 days ago

He could be calling for their deaths or blaming them for everything. Progress is done by small changes not massive changes. Is he still shitty, yes. Is he better than most other popes, yes.