Have a sneer percolating in your system but not enough time/energy to make a whole post about it? Go forth and be mid!

Any awful.systems sub may be subsneered in this subthread, techtakes or no.

If your sneer seems higher quality than you thought, feel free to cutā€™nā€™paste it into its own post, thereā€™s no quota for posting and the bar really isnā€™t that high

The post Xitter web has spawned soo many ā€œesotericā€ right wing freaks, but thereā€™s no appropriate sneer-space for them. Iā€™m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged ā€œculture criticsā€ who write about everything but understand nothing. Iā€™m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. Theyā€™re inescapable at this point, yet I donā€™t see them mocked (as much as they should be)
Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldnā€™t be surgeons because they didnā€™t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I canā€™t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

• skillissuer
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    edit-2
    4 months ago

yeah, lecun

but also holy shit at ā€œto quality as Science a piece of research must be correctā€ wow thatā€™s a shit opener.

itā€™s correct because it says itā€™s correct

also ā€œscience is published scienceā€ mdpi likes that, and also weird to see his claim of 80 papers since 2022 (https://discuss.tchncs.de/post/16521037) that are mostly preprints on background of him saying that peer review is Important

• David Gerard@awful.systemsM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      4 months ago

LeCun did actual noteworthy work in AI research previously and is now a shill at Meta.

I must note that even LeCun 2024 could casually shit better science than Musk could ever do.

• froztbyte@awful.systemsOP
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        4 months ago

yeah the guy used to be respected, then went off the deep end. lot of linguists I follow were dunking on some epically bad takes that lecun had in recent years. heā€™s definitely drinking the koolaid afaict

• Soyweiser@awful.systems
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      edit-2
      4 months ago

This isnā€™t a shit opener as this isnā€™t an opener (at least I hope so, I have seen parts of this conversation, and didnā€™t check timestamps, and I assume it didnā€™t start this dumb), Musk is having a longer conversaition with LeCun here, and it is a great example of why you shouldnā€™t wrestle with pigs. The pig doesnā€™t care about facts, is just there to entertain itself, and eventually you will do something stupid (like this claim about science) and you will be covered in mud.

The conversation started with Musk going: ā€˜Well what research did YOU do you nobody?ā€™ To which LeCun said ā€˜at least 80 papers on AI since 2022 how much did you do?ā€™ which Musk Le Epic countered with ā€˜that is not enough you are slackingā€™.

Donā€™t feed the trolls, esp not when the troll is a billionaire who needs a security detail to get out of the toilet.