I almost feel like this a somewhat pointless feature. It’s almost easier to just learn the default ones as opposed to adding “-modernbindings” or creating an “enano” variant/copy.

• Chewy
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    22 days ago

It’s definitely just my opinion. Honestly did not mean to imply otherwise.

For my opinion I usually create a comment below my post to seperate my opinion and the post itself.

On-topic: I do believe it’s useful to have this switch and there’s nothing stopping distros to change their default. Completely replacing the default keybindings might be surprising to long time users, but I also believe it should be done at some point. For the meantime this switch can be simply added as an alias.

• Alphane Moon@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      22 days ago

Fair point. I guess this was more of a casual post, so I didn’t think too much about it.

I would have preferred if they switched to new keyboard model in version 8.x by default.

I am a relatively light Linux user. Raspberry Pi headless via DietPi/Debian for NAS/Media server/torrents/PiHole and some experiments with self hosted services on major cloud services. I prefer to stick to defaults whenever possible.

• Chewy
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        22 days ago

I prefer to stick to defaults whenever possible.

Same goes for me.
        E.g. changing vim keybindings on my local system to better suit my non-QWERTY keyboard would be annoying since they don’t transfer to remote systems. That’s a reason I like fish, because it’s defaults are modern and useable, compared to zsh/bash which benefits strongly from plugins.