• 101 Posts
  • 828 Comments
Joined 1 year ago
cake
Cake day: July 25th, 2023

help-circle

• Almost all oft their breaking changes over the last few months were about their docker-compose setup and the simplification of the same. They’ve startend out with multiple purpose-specific (micro) containers, which turned out as a Bad design decision. These changes require manual intervention but seem to be mostly finished, so I don’t expect these to be many breaking changes in the forsseeable future.

The better you plan ahead, the fewer breaking changes you have to impose on your users.

I agree. From what I’ve read, they now have (published) plans for what’s ahead.

• I noticed those language models don’t work well for articles with dense information and complex sentence structure. Sometimes they forget the most important point.

They are useful as a TLDR but shouldn’t be taken as fact, at least not yet and for the foreseeable future.

A bit off topic, but I’ve read a comment in another community where someone asked chatgpt something and confidently posted the answer. Problem: the answer is wrong. That’s why it’s so important to mark AI LLM generated texts (which the TLDR bots do).

• Yes, they’re using several abbreviations, without explaining them properly, which isn’t ideal. It’s likely to keep the article short, which comes at the expense of people unfamiliar with the topic)l/organizations.

Another news site I regularly visit has a small information button besides abbreviations with a popup to explain a term, which also links to Wikipedia. This makes understanding articles about unfamiliar topics way easier.

• desec.io can be used with any domain registrar and has an API with support for various ddns clients (ddclient, lego).

deSEC is a free DNS hosting service, designed with security in mind.

Running on open-source software and supported by SSE, deSEC is free for everyone to use.

Edit: To clarify, desec.io does not sell/rent domains. Desec has to be set as the authoritative nameserver on the registrar, then desec can manage domain records instead of the registrar (which usually also provides their own domain hosting for “free” by default).