At least 274 Palestinians were killed and 698 wounded in Israeli strikes on the Nuseirat refugee camp in central Gaza, Gaza’s health ministry said on Sunday. The Israeli military said its forces came under heavy fire during the daytime operation.

The EU’s top diplomat, Josep Borrell, called it a “massacre”, while the UN’s aid chief described in graphic detail scenes of “shredded bodies on the ground”.

“Nuseirat refugee camp is the epicentre of the seismic trauma that civilians in Gaza continue to suffer,” Martin Griffiths said in a post on X, calling for a ceasefire and the release of all hostages.

• dependencyinjection
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    16 days ago

Do you really think you can eliminate Hamas? How did it go for the Americans in Afghanistan and the Taliban? You can’t eliminate an ideology.

In fact the more innocent people you murder the more you secure the next round of recruits, when people have nothing left to lose they will seek vengeance.

Hamas wants civilian casualties.

Israel is just sick enough to honour that goal I see.

I’ll await the ICC and ICJ outcomes. The fact is Israel is an apartheid state and has the support of the world to commit a genocide.

• CoCo_Goldstein@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 days ago

Do you really think you can eliminate Hamas?

I don’t “think” anything. I’m just repeating what Israel has been saying since last October. I’m no expert in tunnels, tunneling or tunnel warfare, but I believe all of the tunnels are now mapped out and the vast majority of Hamas’ fighters are trapped underground, so I would presume it is a matter of will plus endurance if the IDF can achieve its goals, but even if the IDF does defeat the Hamas fighters in Gaza, the Hamas leadership lives outside Gaza (Qatar, i think), so the fight will probably go on, as long as Hamas’ leadership still exists.

“In fact the more innocent people you murder the more you secure the next round of recruits”. Israel tried to co-exist with Hamas in Gaza for close to 2 decades. The October attacks were the result. The vast majority of Israelis want revenge and are out for blood. They may be adopting the Roman strategy of “Let them hate us, so long as they fear us.”

I just read that a cease-fire resolution is making its way through the UN and that previously Hamas accepted the terms and Israel said it would. It has 3 stages, with the 1st stage involving the exchange of hostages for Hamas prisoners. I honestly think Israel will break the cease-fire after they get their hostages back.

It’s an easy prediction, but I predict more misery for Gaza in the coming years, no matter what options Hamas and Israel choose.

• dependencyinjection
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        15 days ago

The agreement I posted the link to is the one you’re mentioning isn’t it?

Do the zionists play no role in why Hamas has done what they have done?

In all honesty the situation is fucked and it’s a result of my government giving Israel someone else’s land in the first place. For centuries Jews and Palestinians lived peacefully together until the Israeli Zionist’s started taking more and more land. Which resulted in Hamas being born and the many one sided wars that proceeded. Ultimately my sympathy lies with the Palestinians more than the Israeli settlers and there really isn’t a solution as Israel have had a blood lust since WWII which is strange as you would think that people that went through that wouldn’t become the monsters that tried to wipe them out.

If you’re curious about reading more on the Palestinian point of view I would recommend Norman Finkelstein, a very educated Jewish person who has studied this his whole life. There are plenty of Jews in and out of Israel that don’t support these actions and Tel Aviv regular has protests against the war. They could have had their loved ones back months ago, but Bibi is a vengeful bastard and has the backing of other vengeful bastards in the USA.

The second the USA left Afghanistan the Taliban was back and the same will be true for Hamas. The best thing Israel can do is stop the settlers, give Palestinians a fair shot at life and they will vote out Hamas themselves. Or they can go to war with the entire Middle East of which they will not win unless they drag the west in too.

• CoCo_Goldstein@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          15 days ago

Ahh… I had forgotten your link from earlier. Yes, it is the one you posted.

I agree with you the shenanigans of the settlers… their constant ‘settling’ only aggravates things. It was explained to me that since only truces and cease-fires exist between Israel and Palestinians, there are no fixed borders, so the land is up for grabs. Once a peace treaty is signed and borders are established, then the settlers will be removed. I understand the reasoning, but I’m not so sure just how smart this strategy is.