• Tolookah
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    14 days ago

Angry students? Lol.

Really though, odds are high the suit will come from some group that got PPP loans forgiven.

• CoggyMcFee@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      13 days ago

As I tell my kids: if you want to make things fair by making something better for someone else, that’s great. If you want to make things fair by making something worse for someone else, you’re doing it wrong.

I would hope that angry students would not sue to prevent something that would help so many people in the name of “fairness”.

Besides, if anything, actions like this just establish more precedent that encourages further action against unfair debt.

• bean@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      14 days ago

Literally my first thought. What about students? We are saddled with debt at the start of our adult lives after being told by our parents and grandparents and teacher and school counselors that we HAVE to go to college or we end up broke and on the street or ‘flipping burgers’. This toxic push has ironically made people broke and end up on the street, and flipping burgers is actually something people can do to get by due to minimum wage increases.

Colleges and private lending firms can get fucked on this in my opinion. My college experience was basically feeling like a money piñata. Figuratively every step in any direction was designed to bleed the student dry, ON TOP OF their tuition. I mean books, parking which is not even guaranteed, fancy gyms and rec centers (you all must pay, even if not using) to draw in or attract new suckers students for the same shill.

I’m not saying students don’t benefit or learn anything. However the cost and the massive debt students take on when not even fully aware of what consequences this will have on their future is staggering. If life lessons have a number, a good kick in the cojones would be the cost of going to college because literally everyone around you including family peer pressured you into it, and then later struggling to find work in normal jobs.

Trickle that down to being unable to then afford a home or barely housing, food, energy. But you know, avocado fucking toast and everything is our fault amiright?

But hey, back to not being able to call bankruptcy on student debt or have that affecting adults and their credit scores.

This is not a new problem and Biden is the first to actually do something tangible about the debt problem there, but it’s still a start in my opinion. Real change needs to happen or the debt reservoir fills back up and colleges squeeze rocks ever harder.

P.S.: And no, we’re not enrolling in underwater basket weaving degrees you right-wing parrot twats.

• chasingtheflow@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        13 days ago

To be fair, a lot of student debt has also been forgiven over the last year. Not saying there isn’t more to do.