I am working on a WLED project, using a esp32 in a 3d printed enclosere. But my dad says that i can’t install it because it is not UL listed. He is worried if the house burns down, the insurance company won’t insure it due to diy electronics possibly starting a fire. What am i to do, i am not developing a project to sell?

• Tolookah
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    16 days ago

Is it a 5, 12 or 24v project? If it’s 5v, use a USB power brick, that will be ul rated.

The NEC says that anything under 50v is low voltage and not considered hazardous.

What’s the project? I have a handful of wled things in the house

• batvin123@reddthat.comOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      16 days ago

Its running off a 5v usb brick. I am trying to alluminate the way to the bathroom for my mom late at night so she won’t trip or kick the household black cat. Also I ordered some PIR motion sensors to turn on the LED strip.

• Tolookah
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        15 days ago

Note for you: phones aren’t UL tested for safety. As I read it this morning, Their listing falls under UL110, a sustainability spec for product lifecycles. And a battery spec or two.

Nice project though! I’ve got a handful of LED strips, mostly in the kitchen and more lighting outside. One thing you might care about is to give your wled instance a station ip address.

• Bell@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        16 days ago

It sounds awesome. First I would explain how difficult it is for low voltage to cause fires. If that doesn’t work, maybe make a demo of a catastrophic failure (dead short) of your 5v brick, maybe he’ll see that doesn’t cause a fire. Or finally maybe encase the power brick and control circuitry in a metal container?