• Instantnudel
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    18 days ago

But isn’t that a big problem? This way, you always have to vote for the least bad outcome. Because as far as I often read, both aren’t that great. If everyone only votes for these two Partys, I would hardly actually call that a democratic choice, and you keep this Problem going and going this way. Nothing could ever change.

Yes, as a silent 3rd Party voter it’s impossible to change anything. So you would need to have speak up. Speak about this problem. In my View, Americans are shooting in their own leg my hating everyone who is voting for something different.

Wouldn’t it be better to have a third, or heck even a fourth party with seats?

In Germany, our Government even is always formed by two parties together. I think this is really good. This way, one single ideology doesn’t have too much control over everything.

• PugJesus@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      18 days ago

But isn’t that a big problem?

Yes.

It’s made into an even bigger problem by the fact that the only third party candidates which consistently run for national office, the Libertarians and Greens, are both deeply unserious parties which focus most of their resources on making a ridiculous play for the presidency every four years instead of building up local support first.

• Instantnudel
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        18 days ago

Not all small parties that I see on the Wikipedia list even run in the elections? That’s weird, makes it look like they aren’t even trying. I think they should attend symbolic. Like “hey we are here. We exist” Just being on the Ballot also makes a difference.

But yes, as you say, building up local support should be the first step. My Party lost the seat in the European Parliament, but we actually had many local Elections at the same time, and local we actually won new seats in some City Councils. I hope the people that got that seat will keep up good work and also speak about it, because most people don’t even notice anything that happens in their own Councils. That way, we maybe get more votes from people out of that city in bigger elections.