• cows_are_underrated
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    16 days ago

My guess on how they will handle it. The ad segment will get tagged as an ad and operations as fast forwarding(etc) will be disabled as long as an ad is playing.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      16 days ago

operations as fast forwarding(etc) will be disabled as long as an ad is playing.

That would be easy for an add-on to detect and if nothing else mute the tab and cover the video until operational control is restored. A button I could click to “pause video once ad is finished” would make this a convenient time for me to step away.

• cows_are_underrated
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        16 days ago

That was just my first instinct on how YpuTube may solve their issue with adblocking. I don’t know how they will do it, but they won’t allow you to skip the ad by fast forwarding.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          16 days ago

YouTube has two options:

1. Inject the ad into the stream making it indistinguishable from the video. This allows users to skip it if they don’t want to watch it. (I would prefer this honestly)

2. Try to force users to watch ads by making them unskippable, this makes them easy for add-ons to detect.

• barsoap@lemm.ee
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            16 days ago

Inject the ad into the stream making it indistinguishable from the video.

That, luckily, is completely illegal over here.

• CileTheSane@lemmy.ca
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              16 days ago

I meant indistinguishable to the software. If the ad comes from the same source, and doesn’t inhibit playback controls (such as fast forward), then it is significantly more difficult for an add-on to block it. Of course that would mean users can just fast forward if they don’t want to watch it.