A Japanese rock band has pulled the music video for its new song “Columbus” after drawing flak for scenes that depicted Christopher Columbus with ape-like men.

The video shows three historical figures teaching the ape-like beings to do various things, like how to ride on horses and play musical instruments.

The video swiftly sparked a backlash after it was released on Wednesday - it was removed just a day later.

The band, Mrs Green Apple, apologised on Thursday, saying the video “contains expressions that lack understanding of historical and cultural backgrounds”.

• Bluefalcon
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    11 days ago

Well in the US we focus on why we needed them. I learned more about cotton and tabacco then actual slavery. I also grew up in Tennessee and learned the KKK protected poor southern women. They also kept the peace. This was in the mid-90s at about 13 yrs old.

• Bluefalcon
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        11 days ago

I took Texas history in college. Never mentioned slavery, it was more of a “we grew a lot of cotton during the 19th century.”

• InternetCitizen2@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          11 days ago

In my middle school they tired to “highlight” other grievances with Mexico in regard to our independence. Rereading as an adult it is more of a microcosm of lost cause stuff. Mexico had done away with slavery and independence was a way to bring it back.