link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    6 days ago

What? You’re against a fuse in the plug? So you’d rather the circuit breaker cuts off everything if one thing fails?

Edit: After searching online it’s not even a debate. The UK has the best plugs.

Germany and Australia also have highly regarded plugs but still ranked 2 and 3 respectively.

• Daeraxa@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      6 days ago

We have fuses are only a requirement for our ring main system though, most countries dont use that.

• dependencyinjection
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

True.

What happens when a device fails in a non Type G plug country? Does the whole house go off, a portion of it, or just that device?

• Daeraxa@lemmy.ml
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          6 days ago

As I understand it, just a portion. So where we tend to have breakers for something like, downstairs sockets, upstairs sockets, downstairs lights, upstairs lights, cooker etc. they would have it broken down far more granularly so maybe a single room or even multiple breakers for a single room and limited to much lower currents. Like our breakers are for 32 amps generally, theirs might be 16 or lower.

• dependencyinjection
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            6 days ago

Thank you for answering my curiosity.

I still don’t see how that would be better than fused plugs where only the device will go off, even if it was more granular I wouldn’t want the whole room to cut off just because one thing failed. I’m not an electrician so obviously don’t know the intricacies of it all, just every time I’ve seen plugs discussed ours are top.

• dependencyinjection
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        6 days ago

It would blow the fuse and likely trip the circuit breaker as they’re rated for 10amps.

• Taleya@aussie.zone
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          6 days ago

in my house? shuts the overloaded circuit down. Because every damned one has an RCD with an overcurrent detector