• jbk
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    5 days ago

It’s not just an init system. Look up what it does and why it exists, instead of blindly hating some software for some obsessive reason.

• uis@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 days ago

Systemd is also horrible project because it has sd-dbus - a dbus implementation, that requires systemd. And some projects(like Anbox) when migrating from abstraction layer to direct use of dbus accidentally choosen sd-dbus instead of dbus. And devs genuenly belive that sd-dbus is not systemd-specific.

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      5 days ago

I’m not blindly hating. I despise the asshole responsible for the choice being taken away from me for many major distros and I wish him the plague for his manipulative approach in getting there.

• jbk
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        4 days ago

The choice of making way more things than just the job of an init system harder than it has to be, especially when both flavors have to work. Feel free to call generous people who work for the community “assholes”, but it’s you who’s that, if anyone

• raspberriesareyummy@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          4 days ago

People who lobby with decision makers at major distributions for their software to be made the de-facto standard, instead of leaving it to the userbase, have a deeply anti-democratic mindset, and that makes them assholes.

• jbk
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            4 days ago

And what concerns did/do you exactly have? Did you as a “democratic” user make yourself loud instead of crying about “corruption” on lemmy?

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              4 days ago

I didn’t know much about Linux when Systemd was adopted by Debian. And how would I make myself loud enough for people to notice? I still don’t have the technical knowledge to completely grasp the operating reasons why people chose it, all I know is that systemd was meant to be an init system, and now it is no longer just an init system. It’s in things it shouldn’t be in. I’m sure people worked hard on it but one program edging out general alternatives shouldn’t have been the way of development

• jbk
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                4 days ago

You don’t know the details of why it was chosen, yet you complain about people with obviously more knowledge on these topics having chosen it… reminds me of science deniers.

• MigratingtoLemmy@lemmy.world
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  4 days ago

All I’m saying is that it shouldn’t have gone beyond being an init system. Is it so hard to understand that one might want one application to do one thing and do it well?

• jbk
                    link
                    fedilink
                    arrow-up
                    arrow-down
                    ·
                    4 days ago

And what knowledge makes that opinion have any factual value?