Perhaps this is a weird question I have, but I’ve been watching some technotim videos lately and he seems to have local dns addresses for local services. Perhaps I’ve got this wrong, but if not: how would you go over doing this?

I have a pterodactyl dashboard, which I access locally using the machines IP and the port, but it would be great to have a pterodactyl.example.com domain, which isn’t accessible from other networks, but does work on my own network. I also still want some services exposed to the internet, so I’m not sure if this would work.

• megaman
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 days ago

Ive got this working with Caddy and Adguard

I use Caddy as my reverse proxy. It is running on the machine in the basement with all the different docker-container-services on different ports. My registrar is set up so that *.my-domain.com goes to my IP.

Caddy is then configured for ‘service-a.my-domain.com’ to port 1234, and the others going to their ports. This is just completely standard reverse proxy.

For some subdomains (i.e. different services) ive whitelisted only the local network. There is some config for that.

Im pretty sure that I also have to have adguard do a dns rewrite on the local network as well. That is, adguard has a rewrite for ‘*.my-domain.com’ to go to 192.168.0.22 (the local machine with caddy). I think i had to do this to ensure that when the request gets to caddy it is coming from the local whitelisted network rather than my public IP (which changes every couple months, but could be more).