TL;DR: Mississippi has had lots of federal money to help the poor. It was mostly stolen. They’re jailing the reporters who exposed this instead of the theives

• Boddhisatva@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

He stole more than that. From the linked article:

They included a volleyball facility that cost more than $5 million at the University of Southern Mississippi, a project championed by former NFL football star Brett Favre, whose daughter happened to be on the volleyball team there.

Favre, who has not been charged, also received $1.1 million for purported promotional efforts. And a drug company in which he owned stock, Prevacus, received $2.1 million, according to public records. Favre lobbied the governor to help secure the money, according to text messages obtained by Mississippi Today.

“It’s 3rd and long and we need you to make it happen!!” Favre texted Bryant on Dec. 26, 2018. Bryant replied, “I will open a hole.”

That’s $8.2 million by my reckoning.

• AdamEatsAss@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 days ago

He has to know he sounds stupid when he says “it’s 3rd and long” no matter what job you used to have, unless you’re coaching little league it makes no sense. Also what is the difference between lobbying and just texting someone? I always imagined lobbying as how the stock exchange is depicted in movies, with people yelling and gesturing wildly.