Hello.

My conlang (Koiwak) ideas have been rattling around in my head for years. In February this year, I decided to dive in and have a go. It’s taught me so much about so many languages, and the whole concept of language itself. The more I learn about it, the more strange it is.

So, Koiwak is a mix of various things - it has the Toki Pona thing of not allowing too much detail, it has the Esperanto thing of borrowing from a bunch of different languages and mixing it all up. The spoken language sounds like a Germanic Latin with little hints of other languages floating through it. It has a pretty standard (some would say boring) inventory, but I’ve made a deliberate effort to remove sound that make it sound like English, like ð, θ, əʊ, ŋ etc.

I know hardly anything about linguistics so I know I’ve probably done some things with it seem incomprehensible, but I’m pretty proud of it somehow 🤣

Just in case I didn’t link it properly in the title, here it is again: https://conworkshop.com/view_language.php?l=KOIW

• inbread_catM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    3 days ago

well, it looks great! (although <w> for /ʃ/ is a choice xD )

• Kalvo@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      3 days ago

Haha thanks!

I chose <w> for /ʃ/ because I decided that each consonant sound should be spelt with one letter. I didn’t have a <w> sound at first, so I used that letter for /ʃ/ because it looks like the Russian letter ш. I made a little pattern out of it: mu means no, but wu means yes. So this makes it easy to remember some words.