• state_electrician
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    25 days ago

Haha, let’s inconvenience 99.9% of humans so some programmers have a slightly easier life. I’ve had my share of frustration with time zones, but this change is so enormous, that it’s in no way appropriate.

• CodeBlooded@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      25 days ago

I don’t think it’s actually realistic that this would ever change at this point in the game. I do think we could have adapted to all using UTC if we never started with time zones in the first place.

• rhandyrhoads@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        25 days ago

The things is that time zones are a natural part of the earth. Back when people told time by the position of the sun, people in different places would naturally observe a different time. Should everyone around the globe have somehow established contact and said, hey one day we’re all going to be in constant contact, could you change your sundials to read the time where I am instead of where you are? At the end of the day, although time zones and daylight savings time have created some slight variations on this concept, noon/midday was defined by the concept of the sun being directly overhead. Since the origins of time telling are based on the sun, there is no first place where we didn’t start with time zones. Unless we somehow advanced as a society to create computers and the Internet without having ever created a system of time.

• CodeBlooded@programming.dev
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          25 days ago

That’s fair. The replies here have opened my narrow thoughts that I’ve had on everyone solely using UTC.

In my defense, when discussing this with others in person, I’ve only ever been given garbage reasons to have time zones…

Now …can we all agree to hate Daylight Saving Time?