(No, just keep on. These kinds of regulations were long overdue)

• raf
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Naive question, how did you battle your phone addiction in simple terms?

I found myself using my phone a lot more after the pandemic (from 1.45-ish to 3-ish daily) and I hate myself - less than 1h would be more than enough for healthy usage in my case :(

• BudgetBandit@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Certainly not a naive question!

I did it by accident actually. I stopped social media because I just never used it that much, not even lurking. I use a lot of Adblock, even YouTube still gets blocked on my phone if I open it via the browser, so I use this to open YouTube. I got a new number this January. In February I deleted my cookies. Google sends a code to your phone via message, if not, you a code a month later via mail. Haven’t used YouTube since. And then came the Reddit stuff and no more Apollo and there goes that.

I use it now for Duolingo and music and Melvor Idle

• raf
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Similar here lately :)

I don’t use socials apart from occasionally Mastodon (which is interestingly not addictive, thanks to the chronological/honest UX!) and Insta, which I open in the browser to check what people write me and log out from afterwards.

I also use YT in the browser, because the app is such an offensive blend of addiction patterns. Sadly Chrome for Android (willingly?) removed Chromecast support from web-based YT (…it was there years ago, iirc?)

Also, I disabled notifications for non-urgent apps, and took a redundant online/offline approach to essential things (e.g. calendar, notes and so on) to be sure I don’t need to pull out my phone all the time. Nonetheless, I find myself using it a lot more than it used to be, which is quite sad

• BudgetBandit@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Oh those notifications! I totally forgot about them!

I use an Apple Watch for some years now (got a cheap series 0, and later a cheap series 4 which I still use)

This helped me a lot! I get the notifications, it vibrates, I take a quick look and, most of the time, just delete it because it is unnecessary. It got so annoying that I uninstalled apps and removed notifications for others lol