Goal:

• 16TB mirrored on 2 drives (raid 1)
  • Hardware raid?
  • Immich, Jellyfin and Nextcloud. (All docker)
  • N100, 8+ GB RAM
  • 500gb boot drive ssd
  • 4 HDD bays, start with using 2

Questions:

• Which os?
    • My though was to use hardware raid, and just set that up for the 2 hdds, then boot off an ssd with Debian (very familiar, and use it for current server which has 30+ docker containers. Basically I like and am good at docker so would like to stick to Debian+docker. But if hardware raid isn’t the best option for HDDs now a days, I’ll learn the better thing)
  • Which drives? Renewed or refurb are half the cost, so should I buy extra used ones, and just be ready to swap when the fail?
  • Which motherboard?
  • Which case?
  • 👍Maximum Derek👍
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 month ago

The majority of our household stuff is on a Synology DS920+ (x86). I installed Docker and Portainer on it and then run most of my local services (Immich, Invidious, Alexandrite (the Lemmy frontend), Miniflux, Dokuwiki, and Heimdall) using the Portainer UI.

I’m still running Plex as a manually installed Syno package, because I haven’t taken the time to figure out hardware trans-coding for other setups.

The 920 also manages cameras (via Surveillance Station), all off site backups (we all backup workstations to the 920 and it backs up online), handles private DNS and the reverse proxy for Docker, and hosts my personal VPN. I’m currently in the process of swapping the 4+ year old drives with new ones what will up my capacity (using SHR) from 12TB to 30 (with redundancy).