Need to let loose a primal scream without collecting footnotes first? Have a sneer percolating in your system but not enough time/energy to make a whole post about it? Go forth and be mid: Welcome to the Stubsack, your first port of call for learning fresh Awful youā€™ll near-instantly regret.

Any awful.systems sub may be subsneered in this subthread, techtakes or no.

If your sneer seems higher quality than you thought, feel free to cutā€™nā€™paste it into its own post ā€” thereā€™s no quota for posting and the bar really isnā€™t that high.

The post Xitter web has spawned soo many ā€œesotericā€ right wing freaks, but thereā€™s no appropriate sneer-space for them. Iā€™m talking redscare-ish, reality challenged ā€œculture criticsā€ who write about everything but understand nothing. Iā€™m talking about reply-guys who make the same 6 tweets about the same 3 subjects. Theyā€™re inescapable at this point, yet I donā€™t see them mocked (as much as they should be)

Like, there was one dude a while back who insisted that women couldnā€™t be surgeons because they didnā€™t believe in the moon or in stars? I think each and every one of these guys is uniquely fucked up and if I canā€™t escape them, I would love to sneer at them.

• skillissuer
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    Ā·
    2 months ago

Ed Zitron says itā€™ll burn by end of the year, but he doesnā€™t list sources either so idk

• David Gerard@awful.systemsOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      Ā·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

We were asking around AI industry peons in March and they all guessed around three quarters too. I woulda put it at maybe two years myself, but I was surprised at so many people all arriving at around three quarters. OTOH, I would say that just in the past few months things are really obviously heading for a trauma.

• jonhendry@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

Perhaps thatā€™s part of why so many SV types are backing Trump. Grifting off Trump may be their fallback after the AI bubble collapses.

• froztbyte@awful.systems
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        Ā·
        2 months ago

Iā€™m severely backlogged on catching up to things but my (total and complete) guess would be something like: all the recent headlines about funding and commitments are almost certainly imprecise in localisation and duration - everyone that ā€œgot moneyā€ didnā€™t necessarily get ā€œmoneyā€ but instead commitments to funding, and ā€œeveryoneā€ is a much smaller set of entities that donā€™t encompass a really wide gallery of entities

So for all the previously-extant promptfondlers/ model dilettantes/etc out there, the writing may indeed have been (and may still be) on the wall ito runway (ā€œstartup operating capital remaining available and viable to avoid deathā€)

Based on the kind of headlines seen (and presuming the above supposition for the sake of argument), and the kind of utterly milquetoast garbage all the interceding months have produced, I donā€™t think itā€™s likely that much of the promised money will make it through to this layer/lot either. But thatā€™s entirely a guess at this stage (and I can think of some fairly hefty counter-argument examples that may contribute to countering, not least because of how many people/orgs wouldnā€™t want to be losing face to fucking this up)

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          Ā·
          2 months ago

cryptoā€™s VC investment fell off a cliff after the crash, and that investment is what we were talking about there

hence their pivot to AI

• pyrex@awful.systems
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            Ā·
            2 months ago

Oh, OK. I think all the VC-adjacent people still really believe in crypto, if it helps. They probably also donā€™t believe in it, depending on the room. I think it will come back.

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              Ā·
              2 months ago

theyā€™ve stopped putting fresh money in, but they believe fervently in the massive bags theyā€™re holding