Cybersecurity firm Crowdstrike pushed an update that caused millions of Windows computers to enter recovery mode, triggering the blue screen of death. Learn …

• Joe
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

It is pretty easy to imagine separate streams of updates that affect each other negatively.

CrowdStrike does its own 0-day updates, Microsoft does its own 0-day updates. There is probably limited if any testing at that critical intersection.

If Microsoft 100% controlled the release stream, otoh, there’d be a much better chance to have caught it. The responsibility would probably lie with MS in such a case.

(edit: not saying that this is what happened, hence the conditionals)

• Toribor@corndog.social
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

I don’t think that is what happened here in this situation though, I think the issue was caused exclusively by a Crowdstrike update but I haven’t read anything official that really breaks this down.

• barsquid@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Some comments yesterday were claiming the offending file was several kb of just 0s. All signs are pointing to a massive fuckup from an individual company.

• Wiz@midwest.social
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          2 months ago

Which makes me wonder, did the company even test it at all on their own machines first?