• schnurrito
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

funny thing is I, and probably most people, had never even heard that there was something called “CrowdStrike” until Friday of last week

• IndiBrony@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

I’m a Formula One fan. The Mercedes team are sponsored by them. You see their logo every time you see an on board shot of the cars.

I had no idea until this weekend.

• IndiBrony@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              2 months ago

I dunno how blind I have to be to miss this for all this time, but the air vents they have on the pit wall are the same air vents you get on a Mercedes-Benz.

It makes perfect sense, but it’s rather amusing 😂

• PrettyFlyForAFatGuy@feddit.uk
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I knew of falcond as the service that makes my work mac run slow.

Unfortunately, having a mac meant i didn’t get friday off unlike most of the rest of the company

• expr@programming.dev
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      2 months ago

Oh, if you worked at a company that uses them (which is a lot of companies), you’d definitely be familiar with them as they hog up a ton of fucking CPU/disk. I basically had an entire CPU core dedicated to running their bullshit.

• sdcSpade@lemmy.zip
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

When I heard “CrowdStrike” took down operating systems everywhere, I thought it was the name of a virus or a group of hackers. I’m not the only one hearing an inherent villainy in that name, right?

• tourist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

Same for me with Solar Winds, Equifax, SVB and Ashley Madison.

Weird to think that some kind of major catastrophe in the future could again be caused by some company that exists right now, but am unaware of.

• Hazzia@infosec.pub
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Something I heard about recently is that it’s unnervingly common for the stock prices of unknown but really important companies like these to shoot up following an outage because it reveals to stock investors how mich of a monopoly it has in an area.

• CosmicTurtle0@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Are you not in the US? Equifax is a credit bureau and if you’ve never heard of them, you never needed credit or you’re not from the US.

The other three, I’ve only heard of Ashley Madison because they had a very aggressive ad campaign before ad blockers became ubiquitous. One could say it was ads like theirs that made ad blocking a requirement.

• tourist@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Yeah, I’m not in the US. The first time I heard about them was when they shit the bed.