• 1rre
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    2 months ago

4-5 years is way too much, yes, but when your “peaceful protest” is causing deaths hospitalisations by causing car crashes and delaying ambulances I think you both deserve some sort of repercussions and to lose the right to call it a peaceful protest

• abbiistabbii@lemmy.blahaj.zone
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      2 months ago

but when your “peaceful protest” is causing deaths by causing car crashes and delaying ambulances I think you both deserve some sort of repercussions and to lose the right to call it a peaceful protest

How many people were killed by ambulances being delayed and car crashes due to protests exactly? Genuinely curious.

• 1rre
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

I just looked up the car crashes and it was 3 people to hospital as a direct result of the traffic, I got casualties mixed up with deaths. I’ll edit my comment to say.

There’s no exact figure on ambulances delayed, but given all the traffic it caused, but for heart attacks (all I could find good data on) the chances of surviving are halved in a 4 minute period (https://www.ahajournals.org/doi/10.1161/JAHA.120.017048), so factoring in all serious injuries there’s a decent chance that at least one outcome was severely affected if not changed to death as a result of an ambulance being delayed.

• abbiistabbii@lemmy.blahaj.zone
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          2 months ago

Right so causalities in car crashes, and no actual deaths, and you don’t have any evidence of deaths caused by these protests, only hypotheticals.

I think you have been swept up in the outrage machine drummed up by the newspapers around JSO, which oil companies and the government are using to crack down on dissent and protests by making it easier to arrest people for protests and silence people on behalf of oil companies. You know, the same people who want you to think that Climate Change is a “ever in the future” problem.

• 1rre
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

I made a mistake from remembering something I read a long time ago and corrected my comment accordingly. I also made it clear that I thought the sentence for the protesters was way too harsh, I just took issue at the words “peaceful protest” when people were injured as a fairly direct result of their actions.

I definitely support JSO over the oil companies and whoever they pay off in government, but I don’t think claiming a protest is “peaceful” should be a “get out of jail free card”. Call it a justified protest or whatever, but the vast majority of what protesters call “peaceful protest” is actually not peaceful at all, as the actual peaceful protesters aren’t having to defend their agressive or unpeaceful actions.

• EndlessApollo@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

“Because some people might possibly be put in some danger, peaceful climate protestors should be punished before their protest even happens” pls shut up :3