Tomorrow morning is part 2 (of 2) of my diagnosis. I am 42 now. I am pretty sure myself that I am autistic, I have not found a better explanation for my life being the “shape” that it is.

I would be gutted if a professional decided that I do not belong here though. Fingers crossed that I have guessed right, and that the doc see me as I am, not just my mask.

Edit: just to follow up on this. I have just been diagnosed with Autism. I am extremely relieved. He was very casual about it, and very supportive. We also talked a lot about PDA, he said that describes a lot of my work and life challenges. I’m seeing him again in about 10 days where hopefully he can give me a bit of advice about what to do with this info. Thanks to all of you that commented.

• 73ʞk13
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

Fingers crossed. I know from my own experience that it can make all the difference in the world to finally have a lot (!) of things explained. (Got my diagnosis at the age of 34, ten years ago.)

• craig9@lemm.eeOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

Thanks. In some ways, with or without the diagnosis, I already have a lot of things explained (and relatable stories, hints, tips, systems - whatever I can glean from other people’s experiences). I guess I would like a pro to agree, to reduce the imposter syndrome a bit. And help me feel like I am home, at last! 🤞

• justgeometry@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        2 months ago

Omg you are so fucking brave, thank you so much for posting all of this and please now we have to find out what tomorrow brings! Lol either way you just, must be home because I’m literally crying as I finished reading this thread. I’m 41 years old and in the United States. Mind if I asked, like, which one of your health care people did you ask about this referral to, or is this something I can google, and like, what are the right words I guess? Mentioning this topic to friends and family has often been met with Adam kind of “I’m pretty sure we would have known by now Adam, if this were true.” And then casual mentions to my medical doctor or my social work helper person have both been a bit of “wow you know that is really not my field at all, I’m sorry”

Ok now I’m the bothersome intrusive reply, point is, your post rocks, and so do you. I am in Adam house full of people but this post made me ACTUALLY feel not completely alone.